Sunday 24 February 2019

Snake Lane 10 - 2019

Snake Lane 10 today. First proper race of 2019 for me, 10 miles of winding Pocklington roads.

This may have been the first race of the year for me, but it felt an important one after unexpected doing it last year and doing really well, I wanted to top my performance this year.



My coach has been running me ragged lately, I've been battling constant fatigue and general aches in the legs. This morning I woke to stomach problems and achy legs.

Fortunately once I started running both issues (mostly) disappeared; achy legs must have been do to inactivity and within a mile I was moving fluidly and moreover feeling quite at ease with the pace. I'd entered this with a mindset of keeping the pace slow(ish) at the start and keeping the heart rate low to end strong.


Unfortunately months of 'slow' running and base miles have taken its toll on me and even though conditions were more favourable today I came in 22 seconds slower than last year.

Not going to lie, I was disappointed. I'd managed a sprint finish which I NEVER do, I'd done a steady 7 miles at ~175bmp heart rate and ended the final miles approaching 180bmp, so I probably should have pushed a little harder which might have meant at the least a PB.

All things considered though my coach was positive about the race and made a valid point - we've done little to no speedwork yet this year (in comparison to my speedwork starting in December last year causing me to peak early). He's confident that come April/June/September, my 3 big races, we'll be in a good place to really do well.

Anyway, enough from me - there are always more races and frankly I'm just looking forward to a few days of well earned rest!





What went wrong:

  • Went off to hard at the start.
    • Don't try and keep up with 'certain' other runners - I should have learned by now tactics do account for a lot of race day performance.
  • Too easy towards the end - could have ran the middle/end miles a bit harder.
    • Should have pushed a bit harder and broken through the mental barrier in the middle miles rather than trying to reserve myself. Ending on a sprint finish is unlike me and makes me feel should have pushed harder from my 6 onwards. 
  • Actually slower despite being much more favourable conditions over last year.
    • Not much to say to this, lets just hope it's because, as my coach says, we're just getting out of the base work where as last year I'd been doing a lot of speedwork sessions and peaked early. 
  • Stomach issues, not too bad before and during the run, a little uncomfortable towards the end, but after the race... well lets not go there.

What went well:

  • That sprint finish - fastest I've ever ran I think. The last mile I sped up and the final straight I just took off like a rocket, must have gained me a few places towards the end.
    • Mentally I had a lot of energy left, and timed my sprint perfectly, if I can do that in future races and just empty the tank at the end perfectly timed again that'll be awesome for gaining places.
  • Jelly Babies really helped pick me up on the final miles, will definitely be doing that again.
  • Heart rate figures from this race will help in future events:
    • 175 was 'easy'
    • 176 was 'maintainable discomfort'
    • 177 was 'I'm going to blow up in a few miles'

No comments:

Post a Comment