Sunday 30 September 2018

Penistone Hill Race

So today I did the Penistone Hill Race...




This is one BRUTAL race. With over 1000ft of climbing in just over 10k, narrow trail and up to 50% gradients it's not for the faint of heart.

I have to admit I spent most of the run hating it and probably won't be doing another one - I think trail running in general will now be a for fun thing rather than a racing thing.

The issue for me as a fast road runner is that I never felt able to fully open up, and one the 2 occasions I did, I ended up taking a nasty tumble (more on that later). On the uphill it was so steep that I spent more time pushing up rather than forward, the 'flats' were so narrow I either got stuck behind someone, or couldn't run very fast due to having to pretty much put one foot in front of the other. The downhills were so steep and technical that I couldn't gain any speed. The only time I felt like I was pushing hard was on the few tarmac sections.

As for my tumbles, I fell twice, once around the 3 mile mark with just a couple of scrapes to show for it, but the second time I hit a rock and fell hard cutting my legs, grazing the entire left side of my body, causing some nasty impact on my chest and ribs, and have effectively been unable to walk since as my right knee is absolute agony.

In the end I came 19th, that should have been 14th easily if I hadn't have tumbled the 2nd time - 4 people passed me and I was closing down quickly on the person in front, so I lost 5 places by falling and not being able to carry on.

Basically, I won't be doing any more races like this, with the possible exception of the Snowdon Race next year. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment