Sunday 8 April 2018

Manchester Marathon - Sub 3 Hours and GFA!

Where to start? To sub 3 a marathon has to be the aim of most semi-serious runners, and I've finally, finally done it!

3 Lakers ventured to Manchester today: myself, Rikki and Paul. Out of the 3 of us, I'm the only one of us to have ever ran a marathon before so I basically was the only one who had any idea what I was letting myself in for!


My training wasn't exactly what I had hoped for in the lead up - between the inclement weather (all that snow was amazing fun, but not very good for training) and being 'off' and ill meant my longest run was only 15 miles... admittedly this was 15 miles up and over Holme Moss, and then back up and over to get back to the start!











Not going to lie, that was hands down the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and at mile 21 I didn't think I was going to make it in time. Those final miles I saw many people drop down due to exhaustion or dehydration, and the final finishing straight was torturous... seeing the clock count down, seeing your aim time approaching and feeling powerless to catch it...

Well, I did it. I passed out after the finish line. I feel physically wrecked. I can barely walk. I am so massively hungry.

But I did it!

Speaking of hungry... 2 meals and a few beers later I'm still hungry. Incredible!






No comments:

Post a Comment